June 23, 2008
I have been tagged by Jenn for the ABC of Me Meme.
**Make sure you pay attention to the letter “T” cause I may be tagging you!**
A. Attached or Single? Attached
B. Best Friend? My husband and Hammie (Jenn and Jennifer and Jen online!)
C. Cake or pie? Coconut cake!
D. Day of choice? Friday
E. Essential item? My laptop/a computer
F. Favorite color? Purple and teal
G. Gummy bears or worms? Worms
H. Home town? Kingman, AZ (but my heart is in Eureka, CA!)
I. Favorite indulgence? Crab! (I only have it once or twice a year)
J. January or July? January! July is way too freakin’ hot!
K. Kids? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
L. Life isn’t complete without? Laughter
M. Marriage date? February 7, 1997
N. Number of brothers and sisters? 4 sisters, 1 brother, 1 step-brother; all different parents.
O. Oranges or Apples? Oranges
P. Phobias? Spiders, large moths, losing my husband.
Q. Quotes? In life you’re going to step on a few toes; what matters is how gracefully you do so.
R. Reasons to smile? There’s a million reasons, too many to name!
S. Season of choice? Winter
T. Tag 5 people: Hammie, Katia, Midgie, Jennifer (You guys DON’T have to do this if you don’t feel like it!)
U. Unknown fact about me? When I’m really really tired I moan in my sleep. Loudly. Some people think it sounds like sex noises, some people think it sounds like I’m being hurt.
V. Vegetable? My favorites are corn on the cob, brussels sprouts and butternut squash.
W. Worst habit? Smoking
X. X-ray or Ultrasound? Neither?
Y. Your favorite food? Crab, crab rangoons, General Tso’s, eggrolls (Chinese in general)
Z. Zodiac sign? Taurus
Z. Which zoo animal is your favorite? Monkeys and apes
June 23, 2008
Posted by Christine under Uncategorized
I finally got off my lazy, overheated butt to get some pictures.
I swear I don’t have a bald spot, it’s just the way my hair fell when I parted the bangs.
I have mixed feelings about the pink. I originally wanted just the tips done, but my mother in law went a little crazy so now it looks like I just have pink hair where the roots have grown out. Sigh. I may pick up some more dye next week and redo the entire thing.
Over the weekend I made a quick project and started on a larger one.
I used some Orno Filati Gong I had in my stash. Hammie got me a gift certificate to The Spinster a couple of years ago for my birthday and this is the yarn I bought. It’s an Egyptian cotton and I lurve it! I’d bought five balls of it and still have a couple of balls left; I use it sparingly because she doesn’t carry it anymore.
I also started a new sweater. Don’t poke me with a knitting needle! I know I still have my Central Park Hoodie in the works. I’m still working on it, but because I promised myself not to work on anything else ’til it was done, I’ve been going a little crazy. I needed something else to work on to break up the monotony. So I started this asymetrical crocheted pullover.
I like the design; it’s simple, but not boring. I crochet a lot quicker than I knit so I’m hoping to finish this quickly. With the heat still getting to me, I’m not working on any fiber projects as much as I’d like, but I’m still doing a little every day.
June 16, 2008
Posted by Christine under Uncategorized
It seems that all I’ve done today is bitch about the heat, but I’m whiny—it’s 103 right now—arrrgghh! People that like this heat are nuts!!! (I know one sun-worshiper who reads this drivel; I mean you too!!!)
I’ve been journaling, but that’s about it…I don’t even want to think about knitting right now. My central park hoodie is getting dangerously close to the “sat too long” phase. Hopefully I’ll still finish it; it just won’t be any time soon when it’s over 100 degrees.
June 11, 2008
Posted by Christine under meme
I was tagged by darling Jenn for this, so here goes….
~Link the person(s) who tagged you
~Mention the rules on your blog
~Tell about 6 unspectacular quirks of yours
~Tag 6 following bloggers by linking them
~Leave a comment on each of the tagged blogger’s blogs letting them know they’ve been tagged
1. When I go to bed I can’t fall asleep before a) laying on my right side, b) rolling over to my left side, c) rolling back over to my right side. Every single night. I have no idea why and I’ve stopped trying to figure it out. I liken it to a dog having to turn three times before they lay down.
2. I hate not knowing how to do things. It’s mainly prevalent in my crafting. If there’s a technique I like and I don’t know how to do it, I immediately start researching how to do it so I can doitrightaway!!!
3. If I’m eating something small like m&m’s or pretzels I have to eat them in an even number. It doesn’t matter how many I put in my mouth at once, but I count as I eat and if I have 9, I eat an extra one so it’s even.
4. I can not stop in the middle of a row when I’m knitting or crocheting. I have to finish the row and have been late going places because of this.
5. I make notes on everything! If something comes to mind and I need to remember it I will write on any available surface. I’ve been doing this for as long as I can remember. There’s a dresser in a landfill somewhere covered in phone numbers, dmc embroidery thread numbers, school notes and song lyrics covering every outside surface.
6. I take really short showers and have a “schedule” that I go through exactly every time.
- Get in
- Wet hair
- Twist hair into a bun and secure
- Wet bath poof, apply body wash
- Scrub left arm, across boobs, right arm, then straight down, ahem, right leg, left leg
- Scrub bottom of feet and between toes
- Rinse conditioner out of hair
- Turn off water
- Dry off
- Step out
- Clean ears
- Wash face and use astringent
I have no idea how other people shower and if they follow a routine. I’ve been doing this forever and the only time I deviate is when I shave.
Those are my weird quirks. I’m tagging:
and that’ll be it because I can’t think of anyone else at the moment.
June 11, 2008
With the weather getting warmer and my mind wandering towards non-fiber crafts, I haven’t been updating as much. I have been pretty busy though. I thought I’d do a big photo post today.
Please forgive the quality of the pictures – I took them in the back room and the light in here is really terrible. I’ve learned my lesson with these lol; I’ll continue to take them in the dining room where there’s a lot more natural light.
I didn’t have enough room to spread it all out, but the back, both fronts and what I’ve started on one sleeve are all there. I haven’t been working on it as much as I was (I’d probably be done with it by now!) but I haven’t thrown it in a drawer and forgotten about it yet. This is good!
I’ve mainly been journaling the past week or so and have a whole bunch of pictures of different pages.
The first page. I’ve had this large sketchbook for a few years now and because it was pricey and I never think my work is good enough, I’ve held off on using it for anything. This was pretty much just a page to get the ball rolling and to tell myself firmly that it didn’t matter what it looked like, as long as I was stretching my creativity and enjoying it.
I was browsing craftster awhile back and came across a large thread on journaling. I snagged a LOT of the ideas from the thread and added a few of my own to start this journal. It’s interesting enough (ie: NOT just writing about my day) that I may keep with it. Adding some artistic elements to it will help as well I’m sure.
Media/happenstance pages. These pages are where I log what I’ve read, played, watched and listened to each day. I love this because I’m able to go back and see how my music tastes change from day to day and movies and books that I’ve watched/read that I enjoyed.
Word of the day pages to brush up on my language skills. Yes, I really did use the word bird-dog in a sentence yesterday!
A directory of everyday beautiful things.
A quick blurb about how I’m feeling each day.
A dreams page that I’ve yet to fill out. I actually remember one I had last night so I’ll have to write it down.
A weather page to record the temperature and wind activity.
A page on who I consider myself to be.
Random quotes I like and find inspirational.
I learn something new every day, now I can write them down so I can appreciate the small things I take for granted.
Here’s a few of the artsy pages I’ve done. Nothing terribly great yet, but I’m expanding.
An unsent letter page. Good therapy and maybe one day I can re-read the letter in the little pocket and see if anything’s changed.
I have this old children’s book of Sleeping Beauty that I absolutely love. The pictures are beautiful so I used one of them and a small passage from the book for a page. You can’t see it in the picture, but I embellished the picture with silver and gold, and some deeper colors for her make up and the Prince’s eyes.
I named this one Tea & Sympathy. It’s mixed media with acrylic paints, gesso, vellum stickers, paper doilies, artists chalk and an old print from a book. A little bit of everything really.
When the weather gets hotter I tend to leave my blogs to collect dust. I might not update regularly, but I will definitely still be around! I need to remember that just because I’m not updating as frequently I still need to visit my friends though. So if you haven’t seen me for awhile, I’ll be by soon!
Oh! I almost forgot! The new Knitty is out – go check it out! You can click the link on my sidebar.
June 4, 2008
Posted by Christine under crochet
I actually finished this yesterday, but didn’t get the pictures uploaded until this morning.
I kind of just made it up as I went along, but it turned out really well.
I used Red Heart SS in Teal with an I hook. The stitch pattern is the block and offset shell stitch (block 27) from 63 Easy-To-Crochet Pattern Stitches Combine To Make An Heirloom Afghan (That’s a mouthful, eh?)
I lined the inside with a sweatshirt fleece in a lighter teal and used an invisible stitch to tack it down all the way around. Then I folded it to size and used crab stitch (reverse crochet) all the way around to give it a nice finished edge.
Overall, I love the way it turned out. It fits my laptop perfectly – snug, but not to tightly. I’ve been waiting for a project to use those buttons on for ages, and even though I think they look great on the cozy, I may have to wind up changing them out. They don’t have enough of a lip on them to keep the flap closed securely enough for my taste.
I’m thinking about adding a small pocket to the inside for paperwork/discs and maybe one to the back of the outside for my power cable. I haven’t decided yet. I kind of like the unfettered look of it without pockets of bulging crap hanging off of it. I may just make a separate bag for that stuff. Right now I’m just happy to have something soft and cushy to protect my new baby from dust and scratches.
June 2, 2008
Posted by Christine under meme
I was tagged by Jenn to post ten things about myself, so here goes!
1. I’m a wallflower – online and in real life. I never used to be, but because of some physical stuff that’s happened to me and some headgames people have played with me online, I’ve kind of pulled away. I keep a very small circle of friends and even though I belong to a ton of groups online and I know a lot of people in rl, I pay attention but don’t get involved much. It’s a painful stretch for me to introduce myself to people or start friendships.
2. Once upon a time I wanted kids. Not only did I want kids, but I wanted to open a child care business. For awhile all I thought about was that I’d get married, have a few kids and spend my days taking care of babies and young children. The funny thing is that this was for a fairly short period of time. From around the time I was 17 or 18 until I was about 22 or 23. Before that, I wanted to stay single and travel, and after that I was happy with it just being Paul, me and the dogs. I’ve never quite figured out why those five or so years started and stopped so abruptly.
3. I’ve broken my right leg and fractured my left cheekbone. All in the span of about a week. When I was in the third grade I loved playing on the monkey bars at school. My mom kept telling me to stop because they didn’t have mats beneath them and she knew I was going to fall off and get hurt, but I didn’t listen. I fractured my cheek bone and there wasn’t much they could do about it. A week later, to the day, I tried to do a “cherry drop” and fell off the bar and landed sitting down on top of my foot – it was facing the other way. My mom was in talks with the school for two years trying to get them to pay my medical bills. The real kicker? They waited until right before they settled with us to put down safety mats.
4. I hate drinking water. If there’s pretty much anything in the house besides water I’ll drink that first. I know it’s not healthy and I know that water would do so much more than hydrate me, but I hate it. If we’ve got bottled water I’ll drink it, but I hate the tap water here and do a LOT to avoid drinking it.
5. I hate talking on the phone. I think that’s kind of part of number one, but I seriously hate talking on the phone so much that I finally wound up getting caller ID so I could avoid answering any calls other than the ones from family and a few friends. If it’s important, someone will leave a message.
6. Before the Dresden Dolls, I was highly obsessed with the Doors. The only reason I got interested in them in the first place though was because of this boy I had a crush on in the seventh grade. His name was Josh Foreman and he was a big fan of the Doors. Looking back, I realize that most of my favorite bands have been because of outside influence. I got in to KISS because of a boy too. He was such a fan that when other boys with playing G.I. Joe, he was playing with KISS “action figures”. Shannon (Hammie) got me hooked on the Dresden Dolls.
7. I hate these birds:
They’re called Curved Bill Thrashers, or Mourning Doves. I seriously hate these birds and people laugh at me because of it. I hate the way they look (those beaks are freakin’ creepy!) and I hate their attitudes! I have a birdhouse my neighbor made for me for my birthday in my front yard. The wrens have started living in there and I saw one of those ugly birds hold on to the side of the birdhouse (it’s way too big of a bird to actually go in the little holes) and pull baby wrens out of it! They poop on my car and it’s like they know I don’t like them because they stare at me when I go outside like they want to pluck my eyes out. I’ve taken to throwing rocks at them when I see them – not to hurt them or even actually connect, but to get them to fly away. I can’t fully comprehend why I dislike them so much, it’s just one of those weird things about me.
8. I have four sisters and two brothers. Jeannie is my half sister through my bio-dad, Dougie is my half brother through my bio-dad, Theresa, Debbie, and Joyce are my half sisters through my Mom, and Rodger is my step-brother from my Mom’s marriage to my Dad (My step-dad). The only one I have a relationship with is Joyce, and it’s a long distance one at that. I have no full blood siblings and none of my siblings have full blood siblings – we all have different moms or dads.
9. My husband and I have gone through eight vehicles since we’ve been together – an 87 Nissan Stanza, a 78 Oldsmobile, an 80-something Dodge Charger, an 86 (I think) Oldsmobile, a 76 Firebird, a 92 Geo Metro, a 91 Astro van, and we’re currently driving a 94 Geo Prizm. Most of our recent cars have been trade ins, but I wrecked my Stanza, gave the 78 Olds to my Dad, the Charger blew the main oil gasket and died and a bitch in a Breeze crashed in to our other Olds. The Firebird, Metro and Astro all had cracked windshields and the Prizm has lasted longer than any other car we’ve had.
10. I can never fill a paper journal completely. I usually get about 1/3 through it and forget about it. There’s a few that I’ve managed to fill halfway, but I’ve never reached the last page of a journal. I tend to find them years later, scoff at the silly things I’ve wrote and toss them. I’m trying to break myself of this because I think no matter how stupid my writing can be at times, it’s something I’ll regret doing when I’m older. I always thought that by the time I was in my 60’s that I’d have shelves filled with journals, but I won’t if I keep tossing them!
I’d like to tag Hammie, Katia and Midgie if they want to do it, if not, anyone else that happens upon this post can play!
Next Page »